// Introduction to Literary Arts // Intermediate / Advanced Poetry // Intermediate / Advanced Fiction // Playwriting // Senior Publication
Portfolio and Audition
The on-site audition for Literary includes a written assignment. Instructions will be provided at the time of audition.
- Five original, written works: One (1) sonnet, one (1) flash fiction, two (2) free verse poems — (14 to 24 lines per poem); and one (1) short story.
- The short story should be typed in Times New Roman font, 12 point font size, double-spaced with the applicant’s first and last name in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
News & Events
Dr. Nadia Alexis is a poet, photographer, and educator born in Harlem, NYC to Haitian immigrants. Her poetry, nonfiction, and photography have been published widely in outlets such as Indiana Review, Shenandoah, MQR Mixtape, On She Goes, Forgotten Lands, Wild Imperfections: An Anthology of Womanist Poems, MFON: Women Photographers of the African Diaspora, and others. She is the 2019 honorable mention poetry prize winner of the Hurston/Wright College Writers Award, 2020 Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters photography award nominee, and 2020 semifinalist of the 92Y Discovery Poetry Contest. She is also a fellow of the Callaloo Creative Writing Workshop and The Watering Hole. Her photographs have been shown in several exhibitions in the U.S. and Cuba. She holds a PhD in English with Creative Writing Concentration as well as an MFA in Creative Writing – Poetry from the University of Mississippi. Since she moved to Mississippi in 2016, she has taught creative writing to high school students and middle school students, as well as American literature, Black literature, freshman writing, and creative writing to college students.
“My goal is to encourage and empower our writers to bloom during their time at MSA and beyond.”
- Literary Arts Blogspace
- Literary Coffee House Event
- The Phoenix Literary Journal
- Literary Program Podcasts