If you’re thinking about applying for audition at Mississippi School of the Arts, we encourage you to get an early start by taking academic courses at your regular junior high/high school. This will allow you to focus more on your arts major if you are accepted into Mississippi School of the Arts.
The following academic courses are required for completion by the end of your tenth grade year:
- English — English I and II
- Mathematics — Including Algebra I
- Physical Education
- Science — Biology and Chemistry recommended
- Social Studies — Including World History, Mississippi Studies, and World Geography
- Business and Technology — Including Keyboarding and Computer Applications or ICT
- Foreign Language — Students are encouraged to complete at least 1 unit of the 2 units required for college admission.
Students who do not have 1 or 2 of these classes may have to take an additional online course after school or in the summer to gain graduation requirements. Students need to be classified as a current sophomore in order to apply.
Mississippi School of the Arts partners with Brookhaven School District to offer additional academic courses. Students who participate in classes at Brookhaven High School during first and second block are transported by bus to and from the neighboring public high school. In addition to classes at Brookhaven, limited online courses are available.
For more information, please contact the Admissions Office.